hi! is it possible to chat or to talk to someone using "OPEN TERMINAL" in redhat if will take in to consideration that there is a LAN connection between them?

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

There's a nice trick :cool: that I used to use for the purpose.

U can do the following to chat with ur friends from different terminals form remote systems using LAN.

1. Connect to the remote PC using SSH
2. Use ps command (ps -aux) to check which terminal the other person is using.
(it will come as pts/0, pts/1 likewise under the TTY category)
3. Next use the echo command to print text message to that terminal (what the other person is using)
echo "Hi coud_ren_26... How r u ???" >> /dev/pts/0

This will redirect the echo message to ur friends terminal. Similarly he can use the same process to reply back to ur terminal.

Cheers ;)

commented: great it works! +0

Thank you I keep on thinking what to use now I remembered "ssh". So it means that it is also possible for me to shutdown or restart the computers that belongs to my network?

You can also use 'talk'.

Thank you I keep on thinking what to use now I remembered "ssh". So it means that it is also possible for me to shutdown or restart the computers that belongs to my network?

U can run commands on the network systems as per the priviledges given for the user with which you are logging in. So, if you login as 'root' (priviledged user) then definitely u can run any commands including shutdown.
We can even permanently enable a system to login to another in the network through SSH without any requirement of authentication:icon_wink: by using SSH private-public key pair.

Anywaz, mark the thread as solved if ur doubt is cleared.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.