Hi Im trying to download "Wines" for Linux Mint which has just been newly installed onto my old laptop. I cant seem to get it to run.

I went to http://www.winehq.org/download/ and followed the steps under the "Ubuntu Packages."
I got this error message "Could not download all repository indexes, The repository may no longer be available or could not be contacted because of network problems."

Its definitely connected to the net therefore would i be right in saying that the Linux Server may not be responding properly?

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

Hi Im trying to download "Wines" for Linux Mint which has just been newly installed onto my old laptop. I cant seem to get it to run.

I went to http://www.winehq.org/download/ and followed the steps under the "Ubuntu Packages."
I got this error message "Could not download all repository indexes, The repository may no longer be available or could not be contacted because of network problems."

Its definitely connected to the net therefore would i be right in saying that the Linux Server may not be responding properly?

You may have as syntax error is your sources.list file. Make sure you have specified the correct server to contact for the downloads. IF you have multiple sources for wine, then it could be safe to go ahead and attempt a download. Wine 1.2 runs many, many games as well as a windows boxen.

Hey - i got wine working fine for it. Using the terminal I can run the .exe applications fine. But I understand that "Wine Doors" is a more user friendly way of running the applications - can someone walk me through installing and using it? I tried installing it but it mustn't have worked because the list of "available Applications" is totally blank. Any ideas?

Im trying to get this working well because I explained to my dad that its worth it over spending £120 buying Windows 7!

Hey - i got wine working fine for it. Using the terminal I can run the .exe applications fine. But I understand that "Wine Doors" is a more user friendly way of running the applications - can someone walk me through installing and using it? I tried installing it but it mustn't have worked because the list of "available Applications" is totally blank. Any ideas?

wine-doors is available for download, just not as a deb archive file. You can look up the archive formats, but it should be unnecessary. You can run most windows programs by adding a custom launcher to your desktop, then you can navigate to the .exe file you want to run. You don't even have to use the name wine in the command line to execute. For example:
"/home/username/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/wow/Launcher.exe" runs World of Warcraft with the click of a button on Ubuntu 10.04 running wine 1.2, no errors, no glitches, just runs.
As to the program wine-doors, I don't know for sure but I don't believe its still actively in development, though I could be wrong on that count. I got to try it out on a knoppix re-spin. Felt quite a bit like using the commercial variety, such as cedega. Try out Playonlinux which is available from the .deb archives.

wine-doors is available for download, just not as a deb archive file. You can look up the archive formats, but it should be unnecessary. You can run most windows programs by adding a custom launcher to your desktop, then you can navigate to the .exe file you want to run. You don't even have to use the name wine in the command line to execute. For example:
"/home/username/.wine/drive_c/Program Files/wow/Launcher.exe" runs World of Warcraft with the click of a button on Ubuntu 10.04 running wine 1.2, no errors, no glitches, just runs.
As to the program wine-doors, I don't know for sure but I don't believe its still actively in development, though I could be wrong on that count. I got to try it out on a knoppix re-spin. Felt quite a bit like using the commercial variety, such as cedega. Try out Playonlinux which is available from the .deb archives.

Hi mate I actually found out that Wine-Doors is down - the site which housed the repositories appeared to be down and didn't seem to be back up any time soon. So I went with PlayOnLinux and it worked well. I actually wanted it for Office and I succeeded in installing it today but with some messing around. I had to try several times for it to ask for the "CD Key" before i could install it.

I know what I explain next would be best in a seperate post but I'll explain anyway - I had some problems playing DVD's on Linux Mint - the sound wouldn't play at all on the default MoviePlayer so I had to manual change it and assign a Command to it, you see I wanted my default player to be GNOME MPlayer.

If anyone that reads this happens to have the same problem - let me know and I'll tell you exactly what i did - to summarise - I have managed to get Microsoft Office 2007 working as well as changed my default movie player.

Cheers for your help mate :D

That's what we're here for is to help each other out. Try enabling the universe repositories and installing the codecs for MP3, DVD's etc. On Ubuntu 10.04 its as simple as installing ubuntu-restricted-extras. This will play almost every multimedia file known.

Peace

Instructions to get wine on Linux Mint:
1.Open the Software Manager
2.Type in search: wine
3.Double-Click on wine.
4.Click install.
5. Enjoy!
Worked for me!

i am very confuse linux operating system is multiuser but how to know it, some ideas in my mind there multiuser user can work but how to?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.