Hi all, I have one question. I need to remove cent OS completely from my hard disk. I have installed windows 7 also. Total size is 320 GB. For windows 270 and for cent OS 70 GB. How to remove cent OS and allocate that space to windows7?

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

Simple enough.

1) Reinstall the Windows MBR (master boot record).
2) Use fdisk to remove the Linux partition.
3) Use the Windows disk manager to merge the partitions.

Since this will change the system signature pretty significantly, Windows will have to re-authenticate itself with Microsoft on the next boot.

commented: Very Good +0

Hi friends,

I am agree with rubberman and do what rubberman says,

Thanks
Narinder

Hi all, I have one question. I need to remove cent OS completely from my hard disk. I have installed windows 7 also. Total size is 320 GB. For windows 270 and for cent OS 70 GB. How to remove cent OS and allocate that space to windows7?

Isn't it sufficient to remove CentOS partition and to resize Win 7 one with Win 7 Disk Management tool?

Isn't it sufficient to remove CentOS partition and to resize Win 7 one with Win 7 Disk Management tool?

No, because CentOS (and other Linux distros) replace the windows MBR/bootloader with an alternative bootloader like Grub or Grub2. So simply removing the CentOS partition and resizing the Windows 7 partition isn't enough.

As rubberman has already stated, you first need to boot into windows and restore the Windows MBR before using a disk management/partitioning tool to remove the CentOS partition and resize the Windows 7 partition.

Before doing anything take the backup of your operating system using Norton Ghost or Accronis backup software. I will simply say you that if you don't want to loose your OS than reinstall the cent or any linux OS on same linux partition but this time use partition size 7GB for install and 5GB for extra. After complete install you can able to use your 58 GB in windows via formatting the partition in NTFS or FAT format.

Kindly run the following commands:
fdisk -l (get your hard disk name eg. sda or sdb.. etc.)
then run the command
shred /dev/sda

it will done your work

How can i edit pictures in ubuntu?

How can i edit pictures in ubuntu?

Please don't hijack other people's threads. You can use GIMP or something.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.