Hello,

I have tried to install mysql in linux and it said that I already installed it. Then the problem is I do not know the password to enter it. What should I do?

davy@ubuntu:~$ mysql -uroot -p
Enter password:
ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using password: YES)
davy@ubuntu:~$

If I have to reinstall mysql in linux how?

Thanks before.

Hmm.. I think this is the syntax:

apt-get purge mysql-server mysql-common mysql-client-<version>
rm -rf /var/lib/mysql
rm -rf /etc/mysql*

--------------------------

davy@ubuntu:~$ ls
core       Downloads         Pictures   Videos
Desktop    examples.desktop  Public
Documents  Music             Templates

--------------------------

Yet, I cannot find where mysql file localted?

Another question: how to unzip file in linux:

davy@ubuntu:~/Desktop/openmeetings$ tar zfx apache-openmeetings-3.0.0.tar.gz
davy@ubuntu:~/Desktop/openmeetings$ ls

admin.bat
admin.sh
apache-openmeetings-3.0.0-src.zip
apache-openmeetings-3.0.0.tar.gz
apache-openmeetings-3.0.0.zip
boot.jar
CHANGELOG
commons-cli-jar-1.2.jar
conf
flashplayer_11_plugin_debug.i386.tar.gz
flashplayer_11_sa_debug.i386.tar.gz
flashplayer_11_sa.i386.tar.gz
ghostscript-9.10-linux-x86_64
ghostscript-9.10-linux-x86_64.tgz
ImageMagick-6.8.8-8
ImageMagick-6.8.8-8.zip
jodconverter-core-3.0-beta-4-dist.zip
lib
LibreOffice_4.2.2.1_Linux_x86-64_rpm
LibreOffice_4.2.2_Linux_x86-64_rpm.tar.gz
LibreOffice_4.2.2_Win_x86_helppack_en-US.msi
LICENSE
log
network_test.sh
NOTICE
Players
plugins
README
red5.bat
red5-debug.bat
red5-debug.sh
red5-highperf.bat
red5-highperf.sh
red5.jar
red5-license.txt
red5.sh
red5-shutdown.bat
red5-shutdown.sh
sox-14.4.1-win32.exe
swftools-0.9.2
swftools-0.9.2.tar.gz
webapps
xampp-linux-x64-1.8.3-3-installer.run
davy@ubuntu:~/Desktop/openmeetings$

I thought, I suppose to have apache-openmeetings-3.0.0/ folder in Desktop/openmeetings after unziping the apache-openmeetings-3.0.0.tar.gz file.

Yet, I cannot find it.

Member Avatar for Sanchit_Sahu

file_path tar xzf file.tar.gz -C destination_path

try the above command.
Firstly give the file path of the .tar.gz that needs to be extracted.
Then at the end writr the location where u need the .tar.gz to be extracted.

I know this has already been solved. But as an addendum:
If you use a lot of different compressed formats(.7z, .zip, .tar.gz, .rar, .ace) and you want to be able to extract them on the command line, but without having to remember all of the different command line switches and options for each format; there is a nifty little python script called dtrx (Do The Right Extraction).
Extracting archives is then just a case of:
dtrx archivename.tar.gz or .7z, or .zip or whatever!

dtrx is available from the Ubuntu repos:
sudo apt-get install dtrx

Note: in order for dtrx to work with different archive types, you'll need to ensure that you have the appropriate programs installed for those file-types. So it will not extract .7z files if you do not have 7zip installed. As long as you have whatever programs you need installed, dtrx will deal with extracting the archives appropriately!

Member Avatar for iamthwee

You should just be able to right click the zip file and choose extract, unless it is in an odd format.

You should just be able to right click the zip file and choose extract, unless it is in an odd format.

True - That would work on the desktop, or in a file-manager like Nautilus or Dolphin.

But on the command line, I heartily recommend dtrx. Especially if you use the command line often and you have a lot of compressed archives in several different file-formats.

It saves you from having to remember all of the command-line switches for all of the different decompression programs. It also saves you from having to trawl the man-pages for the appropriate switches when you forget them. Simply leave it to dtrx to handle all of that for you!

Member Avatar for iamthwee

^^Very true. I believe anyone using linux should be familiar with the command line... but why use it when you can use the deskop.

The OP has mentioned ssh'ing into a virtual machine and doing these changes... OK that might be a reason to use the command line but don't forget you can install something like tightVNC server and access it via a gui shell.

Something to chew on no doubt.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.