Hi everyone!

i have Fedora 28 (with xfce) installed on my laptop. As Fedora 28 is now an old version, I'd like to know if there is a way to upgrade directly to Fedora 32, with no risk (I mean no data loss, in particular my /home dir)..

Can you help me?

In any case I've put an iso of Fedora 32 on a DVD, but I'm scared to try intsall it from the DVD and lose my most important data.

What is your advice(s)? Thanks in advance dear fellows!

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

The no risk method starts with full backups. I'm running into more folk that want to skip this step.

On top of that you almost verify you are about ready to lose "my most important data" since those without any backups are the ones the have such fear. Time to get those backups done so you don't lose what you can't lose.

Finally I want to add that upgrading any OS in place carries a risk even if everything should be fine. All it takes is a random power outage at the wrong moment and blammo. It's gone.

commented: You're right! +3

Thanks rproffitt for this advice that common sense should have bring to my mind as soon as I asked myself about the risk for my datas.
I was uploading my backups to a server when I decided to come and read answers, if any, to my question, and I'seen yours. It's what we call "concomitance".

Thank you! I'm about to boot on the DVD containing the iso of Fedora 32... All my body is shaking because it's a big leap, from 28 to 32... I'm very anxious (yes I know, I'm a "pleutre" as we say in french, or "veule" (I've tried asking google translate to give me the english equivalent of this two words, but it seems it doesn't know them very well, the translation that it proposed are very approximate and can be misleading, confusing; if someone knowing french can explain the meaning to our non french speakers, I'll be grateful to him/her)).

See you soon, after the upgrade attempt. So I hope...

Just to bring a finale note to the thread, and eventually help others looking for answers to the same question: I gave up the idea to upgarde from 28 to 32.

What I did insead:

I saved all my /home (and some extra dirs) on an external drive, I installed Fedora 32, erasing all the disk so that only a new and fresh install of Fedora was done.

Then I copied, from my backup, all the file and folders I wanted to have on my new system

End of the story...

Thanks to every fellows who answered me!

You might want to consider moving /home to its own partition. Then you can replace the OS at will without needing to go through the copying everything to an external hard drive and back routine (although still backup regularly, it's a good habit).

hello every one iam new here !

Thank you it is very useful

Thanks for the informative post.

Thanks for the info.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.