Hello everyone. I was trying to compile a Linux kernel module yesterday called vmmon (which you need to make VMware work on Linux) for the 2.6.16.7 kernel. First I installed a GCC package made for my distro, Puppy Linux 2.00. The package turned out to be for a slightly different version of the distro (2.02), so it didn't have the correct header files in it. So, I picked up the appropriate source code from kernel.org and put it in

/lib/modules/linux-2.6.16.7/include

The VMware install script tries to build the module for you, but after I tell it where the kernel header files are it comes up with:

/lib/modules/linux-2.6.16.7 does contain kernel header files, but it does not contain version.h.  This may indicate you have not built the kernel.

Unable to build the module.

So I need to know; what is inside this version.h file and how do I create one. Any help would be appriciated.

Steven.

This has nothing to do with C or C++. Please direct your question to a Linux forum.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.