I've recently installed Ubuntu on a old computer. It has one 20g hdd that is split in 2 partitions. One partition has Windows 2000 on it and on the other has Ubuntu (7.04) on it. When I start the computer it says that it can't find the OS and that I should restart the computer. Nothing works... Can anyone help me?

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

So it boots up to grub right?

Sorry I'm a new ubuntu user... What?

Grub is the bootloader. It should show a menu for you to select an operating system. Is it doing that?

probably what you'll have to do is boot to the windows cd and run the following commands.
fixboot
fixmbr
so that you can boot to windows, then on the c drive you'll want to edit the boot.ini file and add ubuntu as a boot option.

No it doesn't show the grub...

probably what you'll have to do is boot to the windows cd and run the following commands.
fixboot
fixmbr
so that you can boot to windows, then on the c drive you'll want to edit the boot.ini file and add ubuntu as a boot option

I don't have the cd... and my cd-station isn't working...

so you turn on your computer..it shows the bios loading and whatever than it is just black?

about... it's a black screen and in the top left corner it says that couldn't find operating system, press enter to search again...

Ok than grub is apparently not installed boot with ubuntu again and reinstall. Did you manually define the partition table? If you do manually define the partition table this time, make sure to create three partitions: /boot (ext2), swap, and / (ext3). Make sure you install grub to /boot and set the flag as bootable.

Ok. Thanks

you don't need to re-install. this is something that can happen from time to time and all you need to do is re-install grub. i use a boot disk to do this called "super grub boot disk" and can be found here - http://supergrub.forjamari.linex.org/
It's an awesome tool but it's not the be all and end all of it. You could allways install another boot loader/manager such as the pretty cool GAG boot manager - http://gag.sourceforge.net/
good luck, hope this is usefull :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.