Hi all. I know this is an odd question, but I'm hoping someone else out there knows how to do this.

I've just installed Kubuntu 7.10 (which I like), but Debian seems to have messed around with the startup a bit...

I've replaced my /etc/console-setup/boottime.kmap.gz file with one that changes my Caps_Lock into a Control key and the "Windows" Super_L into Caps_Lock (yeah, I do use caps now and again).

I've tested my new mapping with sudo loadkeys, and it works fine, but Kubuntu doesn't seem to find it when booting up!!??

I know I can do this with X. The point is that I don't want to. I want my keyboard modifications whether or not X is running.

I've been googling for a couple days now without useful advice. I'm not a unix guru, but I'm not exactly a neophyte either. Is there anyone out there that knows how to make Kubuntu behave?

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Actually, I missed that one. Its a nice link. Unfortunately, it doesn't help...

I've got a functional keymap, and it is in the correct place, but Kubuntu doesn't seem to pay it any attention on boot.

I could just stick a loadkeys command in one of the startup scripts, but the problems with that are two-fold: the next update could clobber any changes I make; and loadkeys needs to be called pretty early in the boot process, but not too early. These two problems are at odds with any simple change I could make...

So I was just wondering if anyone knew the "Debian/Kubuntu approved way" of telling the init process how to use the keymap.

Alas.

Heh, I appreciate your efforts to help.

Alas, I've done both things suggested in those threads.

The dpkg-reconfigure script is useful for changing to a pre-defined keyboard layout.
The install-keymap script is rather crude, and puts the result in the wrong place anyway...
:-/

Fooey. :confused:

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.