Hi

Please be patient to read my question it similar the old question but not the same

I get error as below when I tried to start my Linux server.

/data contains a file system with errors, check forced.
Error reading block 77000497(Attempt to read block from
file system resulted in short read) while doing inode scan.

/data: UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY; RUN fsck manually.
(i.e.; without -a or -p options)
[FAILED]
Give root password for maintenance
(or type Control-D for normal startup):

Unfortunately, I also forgot root password so I cannot do fsck manaully, my OS is SUSE version 6 or 7 i'm not sure because it nearly 6 years that it run without any problem.

Any one who have an idea to solve this situation please help me.

Can I install a new linux OS on a new hard disk and then put the hard disk with an error to be a second hard disk to excess the data in the old hard disk, if it posiible please tell me how to do.

I need only my data from the error hard disk, after I get my data I intend to format it.

I hope there are some one who can help me, this is my serious time.

Thank you

Regards,

Panya

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

Are you using ext2? Well anyway, boot up with a livecd mount the drive and fsck it.

Login in runlevel 1 (single user mode)?

That usually doesnt require the root password

Google how to boot into 1 under Suse (i dont use that version) - usually you append "init 1" or something to the boot options at the bootloader screen

Login in runlevel 1 (single user mode)?

That usually doesnt require the root password

Google how to boot into 1 under Suse (i dont use that version) - usually you append "init 1" or something to the boot options at the bootloader screen

I try to run in single mode but suse linux required root password also.

Thank & Regds,

Panya

Are you using ext2? Well anyway, boot up with a livecd mount the drive and fsck it.

Yes, my computer use ext2, Can you give me a suggestion, which distro of livecd.

Thank & Regards,
Panya

>Can you give me a suggestion, which distro of livecd.
Try Ubuntu. It might actually be a better idea to unmount the drive before running an fsck check on it (makes repairing the data safer).

>It might actually be a better idea to unmount the drive before running an fsck check on it (makes repairing the data safer).

Sorry about that, you probably shouldn't mount it.

>Yes, my computer use ext2, Can you give me a suggestion, which distro of livecd.

In my opinion you shouldn't use ext2 unless you have a reliable backup power supply. (e.g laptop)

>Sorry about that, you probably shouldn't mount it.
It's worth noting however, that so-called "smart" distros like Ubuntu automatically mount all filesystems of known type. In other words, the user will have to run a umount command before running fsck on the partition. (And in many cases, such as partitioning, Ubuntu will insist on continually automounting the filesystem. That's why I tend to boot into runlevel 1 when working with partitions.)

I, personally always use a gentoo cd as my main recovery live cd. Small (download that is) and has most needed tools (webbrowser, gcc, g++, ssh, etc)

i use linux mint. It has wifi/nvidia/ntfs drivers built in

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.