At the moment, I've got an old computer with Windows 98 SE installed. Because I upgraded my hard disk, I needed to install a dynamic drive overlay. But now I want to install Linux (I don't know yet if I'll install Mandriva One, Ubuntu or Kubuntu). I've got a Maxtor hd (40 GB). And all the partition tools in Linux recognize my hard drive with the following partitions:

1. EZ-Drive or Unknown (8 GB or something like that)
2. Free (30 GB)

I think this is because the dynamic drive overlay. But if I don't install a ddo, my computer hangs while booting because the BIOS doesn't support hard drives larger than 8 GB.

Contributors
Replies
Views
11 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by Ghostrider4444

why dont you back up your data, and start over? do you want to keep your winblows data?

why dont you back up your data, and start over? do you want to keep your winblows data?

I already formatted the whole hard drive. It's my bios that doesn't support a large hard drive.

(I don't know yet if I'll install Mandriva One, Ubuntu or Kubuntu)

I've chosen Kubuntu.

have you looked into upgrading your BIOS?

Price: $30

I want a free solution (as far as possible).

it's $30 for the bios upgrade? What is the bios maker and version that you are using?

Award 4.51 PG (www.award-bios.com)

ps: I'm online on msn at the moment

EDIT: Keep it on site. -'Stein

This mod deleted my address, and I typed something wrong: I've got Award Modular 4.6 PG, not Award Modular 4.51 PG.

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.