Sun is offering Solaris 10 for download. I have only used linux. Is Solaris better or linux in your opinion. Which is easier to config etc.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Solaris "I hear" is more complex. I's also has more virgin UNIX in it... so depends what you'd like, Solaris is closer to UNIX moreso than Linux.

It all depends on what you're looking to do. Solaris has a reputation for being STABLE as all get out, and almost BULLETPROOF. If you're looking for a secure, stable, trustworthy platform to put your work into, Solaris 10 is a good way to go. Keep in mind, though, that if you use it for commercial purposes, you're still going to have to pay.

Linux can be secure. Linux can be stable. Linux can make the most out of old hardware. There's a ton of reasons to choose either, but one thing to keep in mind is that the two operating systems can usually interoperate with one another fairly well.

It all depends on what you're looking to do. Solaris has a reputation for being STABLE as all get out, and almost BULLETPROOF. If you're looking for a secure, stable, trustworthy platform to put your work into, Solaris 10 is a good way to go. Keep in mind, though, that if you use it for commercial purposes, you're still going to have to pay.

Linux can be secure. Linux can be stable. Linux can make the most out of old hardware. There's a ton of reasons to choose either, but one thing to keep in mind is that the two operating systems can usually interoperate with one another fairly well.

Wait on the sun website I thought they were giving out free licenses even for buisness.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.