Hello, I have a 2002 Mac OS X that won't boot. It gets stuck at the gray screen with the apple and the spinning wheel at the bottom. Any suggestions?

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Well, when that happened to me a couple of times I just left the thing for a day and when I came back it had resolved itself, but assuming that doesn't work...

If your data is backed up (or isn't important to you):

Follow the instructions for reinstalling Mac OS X, and make sure you choose Erase and Install as the type of installation that you want to do. Everything should be back to normal now, and I'd definitely recommend updating Mac OS X (Apple menu->Software Update).

If your data isn't backed up and is important to you:

Follow the instructions for reinstalling Mac OS X, but you want to make sure you choose Archive and Install. This will archive your old system, install a new system in its place, while preserving your user data. Hopefully Mac OS X should boot!

If that works, good for you. However, some data could still be corrupt, and at this point I'd recommend making a full backup of all your data, and then reinstalling Mac OS X again, but this time reformatting everything first. This way you get a completely clean install that will (hopefully) last longer.

When I try to install Mac os X, when it gets to the select a destination screen, there is nothing to select.

Well, when that happened to me a couple of times I just left the thing for a day and when I came back it had resolved itself, but assuming that doesn't work...

If your data is backed up (or isn't important to you):

Follow the instructions for reinstalling Mac OS X, and make sure you choose Erase and Install as the type of installation that you want to do. Everything should be back to normal now, and I'd definitely recommend updating Mac OS X (Apple menu->Software Update).

If your data isn't backed up and is important to you:

Follow the instructions for reinstalling Mac OS X, but you want to make sure you choose Archive and Install. This will archive your old system, install a new system in its place, while preserving your user data. Hopefully Mac OS X should boot!

If that works, good for you. However, some data could still be corrupt, and at this point I'd recommend making a full backup of all your data, and then reinstalling Mac OS X again, but this time reformatting everything first. This way you get a completely clean install that will (hopefully) last longer.

When I try to install Mac os X, when it gets to the select a destination screen, there is nothing to select.

Ah. In that case you will need to start up Disk Utility from the Utilities(?) menu before you get to the installation volume selection screen. Select your hard drive, and then click on the tab "Partition". From there, delete any partitions existing on the drive, and create a new HFS+ partition. Click the "Partition" button to apply your changes. Next, erase everything on the new HFS+ partition by writing zeroes all over it (hit 'options' to choose what kind of erase you would like). Then go back and see if there's a volume to install OS X on.

I am, of course, assuming that your data is/was backed up or isn't important to you...

it says Partition failed with unknown error -20.

Sounds like your hard disk is toast.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.