I just bought a Powerbook G4 a month ago. I do alot of video editting. I already had a pc with 2 120 gig seagate hdd's. I want to access one of them from an external drive & bought a box w/a 6 pin firewire port on it. I finally got the MAC to pick it up (after trying to move the jumpers on the hdd). But when I went to the disc utilities, it said the drive was unwriteable & therefore I couldn't do anything to it. Has anyone ever had this problem??

Let me know. Thanks, firpadirp

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Because the drives are formatted NTFS. Only Windows can write to NTFS. OS X can only read NTFS. You need to reformt that drives as FAT32 if you need to use them on a PC (one drawback, file size is limited to 4GB), or you need to reformat them as HFS+ (no limitations then). However you will have to but MacDrive to get a PC to read the HFS+ drive(s).

You will need to reformat the hard drive using the Mac. Have you done that? Or will it not detect it so you can format it?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.