houndhen 4 Light Poster

Here is what I have:
New pc (intel core 2 duo 3.0 mhz) multibooted with linux distros and windows xp with hp 4110 printer attached.
Older hp pc with xp and important files with hp 5550 printer attached.

New to Linux but 20 years with Windows.

I want to be able to print to either printer from either pc. I have been told try a print server. I have been told that networking them would be less complicated.

My main problem is understanding what needs to be done to network. Sometimes I am not familiar with some of the terms used, or I am familiar with the terms but don't understand how to use said term.

I have DSL with a router/modem and a hub that each pc connects to. They both can access the internet, but not each other.

I have the xp (os I am most familiar with) pc named and a groupname. I know that my IP addresses are dynamic and not static.

I have been looking for a howto that is elementary enough to walk me thru what I need to do to both boxes. So far I haven't found it.

The Linux information eventually gets back to Samba. I totally don't understand how to set up Samba.

I would like to either network the xp box and either Mepis or Kubuntu to start with. If I could get networked with one of the linux distros done, then maybe I would learn enough to do the other myself.

I don't have a local linux or networking guru. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I have been to the Samba web site and looked at their install & configure howto and am lost after the first two paragraphs.

Thanks,
houndhen