Hi
I am running WIndows XP Professional SP1 and my Hard disk had bad blocks on it so I imaged it to a new hard disk. Now I can only boot it up in Safe Mode fully as if I do a normal start it gives me a message "Windows Product Activation" "A problem is preventing Windows from accurately checking the license for this computer . Error Code : 0x80004005"
I have tried running a repair using the XP Pro CD however when it gets to the Enter the 25 digit key it comes up with Invalid key.
I am unsure if it was originally an Upgrade version, Volume licensed version or a full version. Is there any way of telling ?
Cheers

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

When you say you imaged it, do you mean you took an image of Windows on the bad drive and put it on another?

If so, surely with bad sectors the installation you took an image from is effectively 'broken', so all you' be doing is copying a broken image on to another disk?

Your best bet is to clean install (and then take an image of the fresh install if you need one).

In the meantime, though, doing this would allow you to figure out if the original suspect bad image was the cause of the problem or not.

if you clone a windows install from one HDD to another it will not work well as product activation will believe that it is a pirate copy

WPA will work if you image the HD and use it on the same computer. If you attach this HD to a diff computer, it will not work

Do you have a back up copy of the error free OS drive? I would
try restoring it.

I got this message when I tried to upgrade my HD using Norton
GHOST 2003. Experience has taught me to always keep a backup
and use dual boot OS (preferably different e.g. XP and W2k). So I
booted from the 2nd OS (2nd physical HD), deleted the GHOST copy,
restored the files from the back-up, and the message disappeared
on booting.

SOURIN

Hi
I am running WIndows XP Professional SP1 and my Hard disk had bad blocks on it so I imaged it to a new hard disk. Now I can only boot it up in Safe Mode fully as if I do a normal start it gives me a message "Windows Product Activation" "A problem is preventing Windows from accurately checking the license for this computer . Error Code : 0x80004005"
I have tried running a repair using the XP Pro CD however when it gets to the Enter the 25 digit key it comes up with Invalid key.
I am unsure if it was originally an Upgrade version, Volume licensed version or a full version. Is there any way of telling ?
Cheers

Hi
I am running WIndows XP Professional Media center, I can only boot it up in Safe Mode fully as if I do a normal start it gives me a message "Windows Product Activation" "A problem is preventing Windows from accurately checking the license for this computer . Error Code : 0x80004005"
any one one can help me out please

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.