Loony064 0 Light Poster

Hey all!

I'm working on a university project (C# - VS 2010) at the moment which uses an SQL Server 2008 (.mdf) database. At the moment, I have the database (lets call it ProjectDB) attached to SQL Server Management Studio on my laptop (the server - lets call it "LaptopServer") and I have added the data connection to Visual Studio. I then use a Linq-to-SQL class to access the database in my application.

This is all great except for the fact that multiple "clients" will have to access the same database. I have a copy of the solution on another computer (the client). Now (I think) I need to add the connection to ProjectDB on LaptopServer to VS on the client so that I can map the database onto the linq-to-sql class.

So far, I've managed to add LaptopServer as a server in VS on the client. The folder where ProjectDB on the LaptopServer is stored is a shared folder. I thought I could just go to the Server Explorer in VS on the client, add a new SQL Server connection, choose LaptopServer as the server name and then be able to select the ProjectDB database and viola! Unfortunately, this doesn't work.

I have absolutely no idea what else I could try so any ideas/suggestions would be greatly appreciated, especially since being the typical student that I am, I've left this part of the project til last minute and am supposed to have it working for my project demonstration that is in 10 days time :$

Lastly, just so you know, LaptopServer is running Windows 7 Home Basic and the client that I am currently trying to connect the database to is running Windows XP Professional.

Thanks for taking the time to read my post and I look forward to the responses
Regards
Laura

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.