Would it be possible to make a program which would go online, take in a book title as a parameter and then search through amazon in a searcha nd return the tags and other information from the website?

Just a thought for all of my ebooks to catalogue into a database.

Thanks guys...

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Possible, probably. However neither legal nor ethical.

Excerpted from the Amazon Conditions of Use

Amazon grants you a limited license to access and make personal use of this site and not to download (other than page caching) or modify it, or any portion of it, except with express written consent of Amazon. This license does not include any resale or commercial use of this site or its contents; any collection and use of any product listings, descriptions, or prices; any derivative use of this site or its contents; any downloading or copying of account information for the benefit of another merchant; or any use of data mining, robots, or similar data gathering and extraction tools.

They might allow you a limited license if you asked nicely. Maybe.

Is that rule, more or less for a commercial use of the information? I just want it for a home collection???

Lawyers wrote it, lawyers and managers will decide whether to apply it in this case, and they will decide based on considerations that have only peripherally to do with your intended use. Things such as whether letting you do it is letting the camel's nose into the tent, whether your case would be cheap to prosecute and worthwhile publicity, whether the manager is in a good mood (lawyers are never) etc. As I said:

They might allow you a limited license if you asked nicely. Maybe.

would any of you guys know the best ways to write a script to go online and.... using a tag cloud website, add a file to the upload box and then return the results of the website to a text file?? complicated i know. I dont need any code, I just dont have a clue where to start

Got a new question? Start a new thread. Is this thread "solved"? Then original poster can mark it solved via the link on the bottom of the thread.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.