Ok, so I am a freshman in college. I am taking a Software Programming class this fall semester and I'm totally lost. The teacher has to be the worst teacher ever. I've been trying to learn from the internet, but I decided to come to a forum where I could get advice from more experienced programmers.

We use Raptor, Python, and Alice in class.. I'm lost with the whole variable, input, output, and all this stuff.. Is there any video or something I can read where I can get a better grasp of this information. Right now I am doing 2 exercises in Raptor and have to code it in Python. I'm okay with Raptor, still having a little bit of diffuculties, but I have no idea how to code in Python at all.

SOMEBODY PLEASE HELP!

Recommended Answers

All 13 Replies

I'm no wiz at this stuff but there is a forum dedicated to Python here.

Anybody know any Raptor?

This isn't really the forum for it (not real sure which one is), but I can help you with RAPTOR. What's the issue?

@evstevemd:
RAPTOR is an acronym, it stands for "Rapid Algorithmic Prototyping Tool for Ordered Reasoning". It's a tool developed by the US Air Force Academy to teach programming and/or logic. Many other schools also use it in their "Intro to Programming" classes. It's free to download from http://raptor.martincarlisle.com and it only runs on Windows.

This isn't really the forum for it (not real sure which one is), but I can help you with RAPTOR. What's the issue?

@evstevemd:
RAPTOR is an acronym, it stands for "Rapid Algorithmic Prototyping Tool for Ordered Reasoning". It's a tool developed by the US Air Force Academy to teach programming and/or logic. Many other schools also use it in their "Intro to Programming" classes. It's free to download from http://raptor.martincarlisle.com and it only runs on Windows.

Thanks FBody,
didn't knew that!

@evstevemd:

I have several questions...

Ok so I'm calculating a sales tax program which you enter your purchase amount and it will calculate the state and county sales tax. I'm making this using modules so on my main I'm using call symbols. I have the county tax and state tax modules done. I made a calculated tax module which adds the two taxes together. But when I I put set as totalTax and in the description stateTax + countyTax in the description with stateTax and countyTax being inputs and totalTax being output.

And my second question is I'm doing another assignment where I have to find a property tax which is .64 cents for each 100 dollars of the assesment value. I don't know how I would put that in a module to work. I've tried everything!

I should be able to help you with that. Before I do though, I need to know a couple things.

1. What version of RAPTOR are you using (I'm on 4.0.4 "Spring 2011" version, released 18-May-2011)
  2. What "mode" are you using: Novice/Intermediate/Object Oriented? In the "Novice" mode, all variables have global scope and you may need to do some funky things to "simulate". In Intermediate mode, it starts observing scoping rules that more closely replicate the typical programming rules. I'm not going to get into Object Oriented mode. It's most likely too complex for anything you're working on right now.

I should be able to help you with that. Before I do though, I need to know a couple things.

1. What version of RAPTOR are you using (I'm on 4.0.4 "Spring 2011" version, released 18-May-2011)
  2. What "mode" are you using: Novice/Intermediate/Object Oriented? In the "Novice" mode, all variables have global scope and you may need to do some funky things to "simulate". In Intermediate mode, it starts observing scoping rules that more closely replicate the typical programming rules. I'm not going to get into Object Oriented mode. It's most likely too complex for anything you're working on right now.

I'm using the latest RAPTOR program I believe. And we have just started on intermediate mode. Thanks a lot! If there's any quicker way that we could communicate? Bc I've been trying to solve this problem for 2 days now.

Welcome to post any Python related problems to Python forum, here you can discuss the RAPTOR stuff.

You'll have to start by creating sub-charts for each of your functions. To do so, right-click the tab called "main" and select "new procedure".

Use the dialog that appears to name your function/procedure and set up your parameters/arguments. An "in" parameter is one that is used to send information to the procedure. An "out" parameter is one that is used to receive information back from the procedure. An "in / out" should be fairly self-explanatory.

Once you have created the chart, start filling it in with the appropriate symbols.

Welcome to post any Python related problems to Python forum, here you can discuss the RAPTOR stuff.

Alright! Thanks a lot for the help.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.