in one of my course my teacher and i do not agree on how 100100000 should be divided by 1101 using binary division , after solution the quotient i get is 010110 with remainder 010.
my teacher gets another, can someone please confirm a correct solution for it.

regards,
nemo

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

Member Avatar for iamthwee

in one of my course my teacher and i do not agree on how 100100000 should be divided by 1101 using binary division , after solution the quotient i get is 010110 with remainder 010.
my teacher gets another, can someone please confirm a correct solution for it.

regards,
nemo

If you convert it to decimal you can easily check your answer.

288 / 13 = 22.153846153846153846153846153846

If you use remainders however, the answer is 22r2. the accuracy of your solution will yield different answers.

If you convert it to decimal you can easily check your answer.

If you use remainders however, the answer is 22r2. the accuracy of your solution will yield different answers.

you're right converting to decimal is an easy way to check answer. i am happy with my answer, the problem is my teacher is not :( and i dont want him to mark my solution wrong, i desperately want an A here, cant lose a single mark.
actually it is a data communication course and we have to use the remainder to generate the CRC code for reliable data tranfer and detection of errors over communication lines.

thnx for ur help
nemo

You can check convincingly by multiplying them back up.

13 * 22 + 2 = 288.

So your answer is correct.

i found the correct answer last night, when doing binary division for CRC checksum method we are not suppose to do the normal subtraction in the division instead a XOR is performed between the values and this eventually gives the desired remainder that is appended with the original message in CRC checksum technique.

you are right....

You can try all the possiblities and u will get the answer

Thanks for that enlightening and philosophical reply.

commented: :D +12

It's been dead for 4 years!!! Why would you revive it!

when you are calculating CRC you don't do normal division. you do polynomial division :) its slightly different

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.