Hey
This is the first time i'm posting here
I'm doing my bachelors in C.S and currently I'm in my second year. I realize I've a lot of time to think about my FYP. But I want to start gathering ideas about it so that when the time comes I'll be pretty sure about the topic that I'm going to work on. I also play the guitar so I was thinking of doing something related to music. Two ideas that I had in mind include:
1. Building a program that takes a MIDI file of a passage of music for guitar as input and outputs tablature that correctly describes how the passage should be played.
2. A program that imitates the sounds of different guitar effect pedals (distortion, delay etc).

If anyone can give some more ideas related to music and guitar then that would be great. Currently I can program in Java,C++. I have basic knowledge about Android development

I realize I may not have the enough skills needed for the needed project now, but I just want to gather ideas about what is possible and what can be done.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Both are great ideas. As a software systems engineer, and serious amateur musician, both work for me, but for #1 I'd personally prefer output as musical notation instead of tablature. Why? you may ask? Because tablature needs to be for a specific instrument (guitar in your case), but musical notation is not instrument-specific! :-) FWIW, I play (and sight-read) violin, mandolin, guitar, and piano, and studied music theory in college... My current musical interests are traditional American music and Bluegrass (mandolin - my instrument is a 1904 Gibson A-series w/ rose pick-guard), but I was a serious jazz violinist back in the 1980's.

What would I need to make such programs.I've got no clear idea where to start. Plus the pre-reqs required for it. Suppose I make the first program that converts the sound into musical notation. Where would I start?

Is it really difficult to make a program like JamUp that creates a virtual multi effect processor?. Where would I start for this also?

Wow that's great. I can only play the guitar and bass for now. I'm not that great though haha. I do plan on learning the piano. I'm really into Classical,prog rock and a bit of alternative music.

p.s If you dont know what jamUp is, heres a link: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/jamup-xt-multi-effects-processor/id449820506?mt=8

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.