Hello eveyone, I want to write a MARIE code to perform the following program excerpt:

If (x < y + z) {
x = x – y; z=z+1;
}
else y=y-1;

Instactions given:

• Use “ORG” instruction to start your program at address 200.
  • The following labels and directives should be included at the end of your program:

X, Dec 4
    Y, Dec 2
    Z, Dec 5
    One, Dec 1

I do not know how to use if statments in marie, all I know is how to add, subtract and multiply ( the basics)

any help would be really appreciated :)

Recommended Answers

The example code here should help. If you are still stuck then post your code here and we'll have a look.

Jump to Post

Welcome new member. It's time to read the following link:
https://www.daniweb.com/programming/threads/435023/read-this-before-posting-a-question

Once you read that, I have written assembler for too many boards and CPUs, you have to write this one then share what you wrote and state where you think the problem is.

I read this about MARIE

Jump to Post

To debug your code, find an IDE that let's you single step your code to find where the problem is. As it's not on a CPU I currently work on, you have to learn this method.

Or add debug outputs so you can watch where it worked or failed.

Jump to Post

All 9 Replies

The example code here should help. If you are still stuck then post your code here and we'll have a look.

Here's my code, the problem is the code excutes both if and else

ORG 200 
Load X
Subt Y
Subt Z
Skipcond 000
Jump Else
If, Load X
Subt Y
Store X
Output
Load Z
Add One
Store Z
Output
Else, Load Y
Subt One
Store Y
Output
Halt

X, DEC 4
Y, DEC 2
Z, DEC 5
One, DEC 1

Welcome new member. It's time to read the following link:
https://www.daniweb.com/programming/threads/435023/read-this-before-posting-a-question

Once you read that, I have written assembler for too many boards and CPUs, you have to write this one then share what you wrote and state where you think the problem is.

I read this about MARIE

The hexadecimal representation of the MARIE machine language might be as follows

So this is what it is. Let's see your code.

Hi rproffitt, I included my code in my previous reply.

Regards,

I think I have solved it :)

ORG 200 
Load X
Subt Y
Subt Z
Skipcond 000
Jump Else
If, Load X
Subt Y
Store X
Output
Load Z
Add One
Store Z
Output
Jump Next
Else, Load Y
Subt One
Store Y
Output
Next, Halt

X, DEC 4
Y, DEC 2
Z, DEC 5
One, DEC 1

what do you think guys?

To debug your code, find an IDE that let's you single step your code to find where the problem is. As it's not on a CPU I currently work on, you have to learn this method.

Or add debug outputs so you can watch where it worked or failed.

Write MARIE code to: 1. Input a number and store it in X

1. Y will be equal to “

Write MARIE code to: 1. Input a number and store it in X . 2. Y will be equal to “

1. if Y>0 display the value of Y, otherwise display the value of X. (Hint: Use Skipcond instruction)
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of 1.21 million developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts learning and sharing knowledge.