I need some help suggesting an elegant way of doing something.

I'm currently in the planning phase of a media management solution that comes in two parts; The administration website, and the deployment website. What I'm considering doing is, at the time a member signs up for an account, I create a database user for that account. This way when a member associates a deployment website (one to many) I can allow connections from the host(s) defined.

So the important thing I need to know before I go down this road is: Is there a cap to the number of users a MySQL database can have? Also, is this the most effective way of allowing controlled external access to my database?

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Is there a cap to the number of users a MySQL database can have?

I never heard of that. But there is a limit of maximum concurrent connections and maximum connections per user limit which can be changed in my.cnf with the configuration variables max_connections and max_user_connections.

Right, I'm aware of the connection and concurrent connection limits, I just wasn't aware whether there is a cap on users created. Couldn't find any info in the manual about it.

Couldn't find any info in the manual about it.

Then it can be assumed that there is no limit :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.