I need to connect my hosted vps in a data center to my sql server so I can pull info out of a database for our website. I setup a vpn by the windows dialup vpn wizard. It works fine but when I logoff the VPS it disconnects the VPN is there an easier way to do this. Any one know a way to keep the vpn alive when logged off. I don't want to open up port 1433 to the world.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

If your machine which hosts SQL Server has static IP, you can connect it without need to VPN, using normal connection string, and instead of machine name you can write the IP.
Another way is to ask in Network forums http://www.daniweb.com/forums/forum13.html they may have a solution around VPN

It does have a static ip but it is fire walled, I feel that is a big security hole If I open that up.

You can filter ongoing IPs to the ones you trust... and also you can discuss that with someone aware of networks he may help you in such stuff.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.