Ive been looking around and havent been able to find anything like this yet.. I am new to mySQL.

Im looking for a function like the "where" function of a query string.. but insted of it being exact i would like to select "where" datafield "contains" text..

example..

item is listed under multiple states
DB
id=1 name=apple state=FL, WI, CA
id=2 name=orange state=FL

when displaying results i would like to have apple come up when i select any of the states that it is listed under..

any questions?

Thanks,
-LTT

Recommended Answers

All 13 Replies

select name where state like '%s', $post['state']
mysql_query(sprintf("select name where state like '%s', $post['state'] "));

probably better if you take the commas out of your state tables
wa fl az mi
instead of
wa, fl, az, mi,
many schema give commas a meaning, and cannot be sure where the data will be interpreted and parsed
the space character is a sufficient divider

%s , $post['state'] could be written as 
$post['state'] 
replaceable parameters that I need to know which ones are numeric / text / blob to debug,  sql %s is literal text

@almostbob : Rather than posting the exact queries as answer, why not just mention that MySQL contains something like 'LIKE' and then maybe point him towards the documentation page for the same and then let him do the further tasks, such as the syntax botheration for MySQL, PHP etc. Wouldn't the OP learn more things with this approach ?

most do not want to be told rtfmits easier for me its just another line of code, that I have in memory, references I have to waste my time looking up

most do not want to be told - rtfm

Then such people aren't worthy of telling anything at all. Because this community attempts to nurture an environment that makes people learn while helping them. Giving away readymade answers just because someone would not like you telling him "go-read-the-manual", isn't the right approach.

And if you feel that your time is wasted, siting people references from which they can learn, then isn't not posting a good idea to consider ?

Then such people aren't worthy of telling anything at all. Because this community attempts to nurture an environment that makes people learn while helping them. Giving away readymade answers just because someone would not like you telling him "go-read-the-manual", isn't the right approach.

And if you feel that your time is wasted, siting people references from which they can learn, then isn't not posting a good idea to consider ?

@verruckt24 :hi..if anybody post new thread in forums means, its urgent to them...i think pointing to some referance manual is waste of time....Learning depends on their own interest..no body can force them...ok coool....enjoy & learn something by using this forumm..

commented: that's to cool you down +0

Verruckt
the final arbitration of all takes up so much of your time.
It must be difficult to be you.

Verruckt
the final arbitration of all takes up so much of your time.
It must be difficult to be you.

Hmm.. It's quite easy, I guess, to just retaliate with the first possible means than admitting your mistake. And however difficult it might seem to you, I like to suggest a few good things to people when I see them going wrong.

hi..if anybody post new thread in forums means, its urgent to them...i think pointing to some referance manual is waste of time....Learning depends on their own interest..no body can force them...ok coool....enjoy & learn something by using this forumm..

We are not here to solve people's problem on an urgent basis. If you can understand this is not a 24x7 support site. Go read the forum rules if you want to. And I am sure you might feel reference manuals siting are waste of time because people like you are so very ready to gulp down on readymade food. If the OP doesn't want to learn we won't help him thats all, thats the culture over here, which you might not know well just because you haven't stayed here that long. We cannot force this on the OP but we can certainly opt not to help such blood sucking leeches.

Thank you for posting the examples. I looked at the manual and did not understand it. I like forums where people post their own examples and not just refer to "manuals" because it helps me learn more. Thanks for your help.

Thank you for posting the examples. I looked at the manual and did not understand it. I like forums where people post their own examples and not just refer to "manuals" because it helps me learn more. Thanks for your help.

Glad it all helped, examples stick in my mind better too

commented: Totally agree :) +11

I looked at the manual and did not understand it. I like forums where people post their own examples and not just refer to "manuals"

Yeah why would newbies like you like to take any pains preparing your food, when it is thrown ready made at you, what you say is pretty obvious for your kinds.

And FYI the "referring to manuals" or any other information/resource thing that you are cribbing about is sort of the culture over here, go read the rules, they clearly say "we offer help only to those who show effort" and I afraid but the "effort" on your part and on the part of similar people like you is often severely lacking.

I noticed, its your first post on Daniweb. Welcome to Daniweb! :)

P.S. Some people will never change. They are always whining.
:icon_rolleyes: Bah! Nevermind.

P.S. Some people will never change. They are always whining.
Bah! Nevermind.

Suits me if the whining is about correct things, Which if you follow the thread you will come to know, but alas...you opted not to.

I stumbled across this thread when searching for something unrelated, but I decided to register here just to say that verruckt24 is a faggot. thank you, have a nice day.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.