Hi. Please forgive me if this is posted in the wrong section.

I'm starting a sports website and I'm hoping to have a section with each sports team that will display the team roster in a table format. Each player will have a line for their name, position, height, weight, and jersey number.

Here's the catch: Since sports teams are always changing, I am searching for an extension or script that will let my site visitors submit details about each player. Does anyone know of an extension or script that will work for this?

I am hoping to find something that will allow users to submit new records for sports teams. I want there to be a button they can click on, type the players name, height, weight, jersey number, and position, then hit submit and have it appear in an organized table format. It would be nice if before the post is made, the extension allow me to approve each record.

Thank you in advance for any help. Please let me know if I can be more clear.

Thanks!

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Powermxpx,

You will undoubtedly find snippets here and there to help, and if you're lucky you may find a tutoral with a worked example doing something similar. However, I expect you will pretty well have to build the application yourself from the ground up. And remember, you will need to develop the user interface, database, and the controlling logic (View, Model and Controller).

A word of warning before you start. Sports organisation guard facts and figures, possibly including those you mention, very jealously. At one time, I worked for a major sports web site, where just about every new idea passed through the legal department on its way from concept to realisation. Many seemingly good ideas were filtered out. Many classes of sports information that you (and I) may believe to be 100% public domain can prove not to be. Like it or not (like you I don't), commercial protection of information is big business in its own right, and sometimes ruthlessly enforced. Try republishing a football roster and see what happens! As I understand it, the extent to which these constraints apply to your venture may depend on which country the information originates (and to a lesser extent on the country you are in).

I'm a programmer, not a lawyer so I'm passing on what I know in general terms. I can't be more specific because I'm no expert. You may be OK but personally, I would seek legal advice before ebmbarking on cutting code.

Sorry to be negative.

Airshow

Airshow,

Thanks for the thorough reply. Also, thanks for your advice on the legal side of statistics--I hadn't even considered that. However, the type of site I'm looking to make should be fine as I'm not looking for stats from any of the major sports leagues.

If you happen to come across any type of PHP script or extension that I can install, I'd be grateful!

Thanks again for your kindness,

powermxpx

Powermxpx,

You will undoubtedly find snippets here and there to help, and if you're lucky you may find a tutoral with a worked example doing something similar. However, I expect you will pretty well have to build the application yourself from the ground up. And remember, you will need to develop the user interface, database, and the controlling logic (View, Model and Controller).

A word of warning before you start. Sports organisation guard facts and figures, possibly including those you mention, very jealously. At one time, I worked for a major sports web site, where just about every new idea passed through the legal department on its way from concept to realisation. Many seemingly good ideas were filtered out. Many classes of sports information that you (and I) may believe to be 100% public domain can prove not to be. Like it or not (like you I don't), commercial protection of information is big business in its own right, and sometimes ruthlessly enforced. Try republishing a football roster and see what happens! As I understand it, the extent to which these constraints apply to your venture may depend on which country the information originates (and to a lesser extent on the country you are in).

I'm a programmer, not a lawyer so I'm passing on what I know in general terms. I can't be more specific because I'm no expert. You may be OK but personally, I would seek legal advice before ebmbarking on cutting code.

Sorry to be negative.

Airshow

Cool, powermxpx.

I was attacked on amnother site once for giving similar advice. People just didn't want to believe they couldn't do just what they wanted with other people's data.

Airshow

just make a form with out all the feields reqired and use the UPDATE mysql function or whatever its called or if u want to store more than one se of records for each team make multiple tables or databases and still use the UPDATE thing. its really easy to use.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.