I purchased a book that included an evaluation version of 2008 enterprise. I had downloaded SQL 2005 express and had tried to download 2008 which said it succeeded and I was left with 2005. I checked the OS list of supported ones. XP professional is on the list. XP home isn't. Without any expectation of succeeding, upgrading 2005 failed pretty quickly because it couldn't write to a dll file on my CD reader.
OK, uninstalled 2005, tried a fresh install of 2008. I got a lot further and spent a lot of time preparing the installation. It installed the programs but every one of them failed.
I went upstairs to a PC I totally hate, booted it up, saw I lost my virus protection, solved that by pulling my network cable, checked the OS (OK), drive space (barely OK), put the CD in... Nothing.
My CD drive isn't connecting with the computer.
AUUUGGG
OK, I don't expect help, I'm just venting. (and dreading the download time to install SQL 2005 express again.)

sknake commented: i hope some rep cheers you up +6

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

P professional is on the list. XP home isn't.

Its not supported but it still works. MS dont formally support any server products on home editions. It says the same on Visual Studio pro 2003 but that works fine on XP Home (Apart from ASP, obviously, because home doesnt have IIS). Same for VirtualPC. Install that on home and it gives you a warning but works fine.

But yeah, 2008 should work fine. Ive got SQL 2008 Developer (which is basically pro i think) off DreamSpark (MSDN for Students) and it installed and run perfectly on Vista Home Premium.

Its not supported but it still works. MS dont formally support any server products on home editions. It says the same on Visual Studio pro 2003 but that works fine on XP Home (Apart from ASP, obviously, because home doesnt have IIS). Same for VirtualPC. Install that on home and it gives you a warning but works fine.

But yeah, 2008 should work fine. Ive got SQL 2008 Developer (which is basically pro i think) off DreamSpark (MSDN for Students) and it installed and run perfectly on Vista Home Premium.

Well, I tried it because I know there is a lot of software that isn't supported, but still works. Not this one. Trying to upgrade SQL 2005 failed. (I suspect because it was the Express version.) Trying to install fresh failed after I removed all the SQL 2005 apps.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.