Hello All,

I have been trying to copy a database from a local system to remote system using the mysqldump command.However, I am not able to do so.I just wanted to know syntactically where am I going wrong?

Here are the commands I have tried:
mysqldump database-name | ssh myname@mysql.cs.abc.edu mysql new-database-name

ERROR 1064 (42000): You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that
corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'mysql
dump database-name|mysql -h mysql.cs.abc.edu new-database-name' at line 1

mysql> mysqldump database-name |mysql -h mysql.cs.abc.edu new- database-name;
corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'mysql
dump database-name|ssh myname@mysql.cs.abc.edu new-database name' at line 1

I am using MySQL server 5.1.40.I would be grateful if someone can help me resolve this issue asap.

Hello All,

Here are the commands I have tried:
mysqldump database-name | ssh myname@mysql.cs.abc.edu mysql new-database-name

dump database-name|mysql -h mysql.cs.abc.edu new-database-name' at line 1

I am using MySQL server 5.1.40.I would be grateful if someone can help me resolve this issue asap.

Hello,

its a nice approach to try to do everything in one shot but it makes it a bit hard to spot the problem. First thing: it seems to be going wrong on the side of the receiving machine. This points to the mysql command where you pipe your dump output to. I would check whether executing mysql on its own gives you access to the DB on the receiving server.

Could be you have to do mysql -u username -p password dbname to get access with creator privileges. So that's one piece that could be checked. Once you are in try a "CREATE TABLE ..." to check whether you have sufficient privileges.

If this is all working, the command should work properly. If not, I would do it in steps.

mysqldump yourDBname > transferfile.sql

Then scp or sftp the file over to the new machine.

Start mysql interactively and source the file.
This would probably give you some more output regarding the error.

Thanks for your help.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.