Hi,
My server machine is running on Windows XP and running MSSQL.
I have another client machine which also installed on Windows 2000 and since i cannot install the whole MSSQL, I installed the Client Tools only.

After installing,through my query analyser in client machine i can query the tables in my server machine.

However, the problem arose when i tried to use python-MSSQL connector called pymssql.
This error resulted :

>>> import pymssql
>>> db = pymssql.connect(host=r'192.168.1.204:1279',user='loginpls',password='qwerty',database='FR6EnterpriseDB')

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "<pyshell#1>", line 1, in -toplevel-
db = pymssql.connect(host=r'192.168.1.204:1279',user='loginpls',password='qwerty',database='FR6EnterpriseDB')
File "E:\Python24\Lib\site-packages\pymssql.py", line 310, in connect
con = _mssql.connect(dbhost, dbuser, dbpasswd)
error: DB-Lib error message 10004, severity 9:
Unable to connect: SQL Server is unavailable or does not exist. Invalid connection.
Net-Lib error during ConnectionOpen (ParseConnectParams()).
Error 14 - Not enough storage is available to complete this operation.

Quite surprising, When i first tried a week ago, there was no problem.
I also know for a fact, the problem isnt with the server either as my collegue running on Linux can connect via this pymssql driver too.
I think probably some setting somewhere or sumtin like that has been turned off/on..
Anyone can help me guide in the right direction

Thanks in advance.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

I really have never heard of that driver nor understand what you're trying to do.
The question is though, why are you connecting to port 1279? Did you change the port number in the server network utility? If not, it should be 1433.

Any chance you've come across a solution for this problem? I'm getting the same error, and have fumbled for a couple of days now.

As a followup, I was able to resolve my problem, which didn't have the exact same error, but was similar:

Unable to connect: SQL Server is unavailable or does not exist. Invalid connection.
Net-Lib error during ConnectionOpen (Invalid Instance()).
Error 14 - Not enough storage is available to complete this operation.

It turned out my DBA had added an 'Instance Name' to the DB (I guess this is the sort of thing DBA's like to do.) I had to add that to my connection string:

pymssql.connect(host="10.1.x.y\instancename", user="user", password="password")

(of course, replace 'instancename' and 'user' and 'password' properly for your case.)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.