Please help !!!
I am designing a database system and I am a bit stuck and do not know my next step forward. I am using SQL Server 2000 to develop a database system from scratch for a medium sized company which does not have an IT dept therefore I have little or no help.

this is what I want to do although I am not very sure how to do it. I want to develop the front end for SQL SERVER 2000 using HTML using the middleware ODBC!!! though not very sure how to go about it.

The other general Qns?? since this is my first time using MS SQL Server 2000 what are the stages that I need to do in order to complete this project, like I said before this is what I have done
· Created the database
· Created the tables
· Assigned the primary keys
· Assigned the relations (relationship diagram)
. Done the stored procedures
. Roles and users (Granting them different access)

My ultimate goal is to develop a web based database so that workers can log online and be able to view and update the details, as their access rights will allow them.

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

I don't see that you have missed anything in setting up the database. What language do you intend to use on the frontend? PHP, ASP.NET etc ...

I intent to use ASP although i cannot get IIS on the machine which is window 2000 proffessional.now i do not know the step by step of doing this because i want to use ODBC as the middleware and ASP as the front end

I don't have any experience with the older version of ASP I am afraid, I have only ever used ASP.NET and ADO for Database connectivity on a web project. Why do you specifically want to use ODBC by the way? I don't see why you cannot get IIS installed in a win2k box. Do you not have it on your install disks and the option to add it in the add/remove panel?

I have now installed IIS. The reason I wanted to use ODBC was because I have seen it was on the machine I had used JDBC before and it wasn’t installed on the machine so I wanted to use ASP.

If I can get enough help I could go for the ASP.Net because I haven’t used it before I am still new I was only starting to read around on that ASP topic

Now I have connected the database using ODBC and wants to write the ASP although I am not sure how to do it but what I actually want to do is have the web application so that users can log on line then they will be able to see their own details and modify them and the other office workers will have full access. How to go about it is proving to be a problem cause I am realizing that the stored procedures that I had put in place were wrong cause I did the automated one thru the wizard that just put the update, select and delete

I have managed to join the OBDC to the database and I need to know how to join several tables in stored procedures so that the end form will be from a number of different tables. I have just realised that I did that wrong in my last attempt and that will not as I want when I execute them in ASPas I want when I execute them in ASP

I have managed to join the OBDC to the database and I need to know how to join several tables in stored procedures so that the end form will be from a number of different tables.

I am not sure I follow you exactly when you say you want to join several tables in stored procedures, but if your trying to produce a page which is data sourced from several tables, why don't you create a 'view' of that data and select from the view in your ASP page.

Yea i am trying to produce a page which is data sourced from several tables, so if create a 'view' of that data and select from the view in my ASP page.How do i connect the database i have done the ODBC

Oh and the other thing is if i try to use eneterprise to create the vies it's selecting all columns and not giving me an option to select which ones i want.when i click add table it's not showing any columns just the table name and a star i have tried to play around with but i am getting no where

Thankx for shadding some light i was completely blank

As I have said I do not now the older version of ASP, only .NET. If you want to do some reading up on using .NET to access databases the links below are a good place to start:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/vbcon/html/vbconfundamentaldataconceptsinvisualstudionet.asp

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/cpguide/html/cpconAccessingDataWithADONET.asp

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/cpguide/html/cpconusingadonetproviderstoaccessdata.asp

I would personally stear away from using ODBC and go with something like ADO/ADO.NET or even OLEDB

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.