Hi Guys,

I have a problem connecting to a SQL Server from Windows 7 - this particular server I can only connect to by using the named instance from Win XP - I can connect to other servers that does not require you to connect to the named instance eg:

I can connect to SERVER1 with XP and Win7 64bit

the other server I can connect to SERVER2\sqlexpress with XP but not win7 64bit.

I did google around, and got some suggestion that you must change the connect string if you connect from a 64bit O/S - but I don't get any specific information.

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Contributors
Replies
Views
7 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by Ramy Mahrous

I tried everything - everything is exactly like on XP box and Win7 32bit box - the only thing different is that this is Win7 64bit.

Try to install SQLServer2005_SSMSEE_x64 again from CMD (Run as administrator) try again.. I have exactly the same environment and everything wors pretty good...

Do you connect to a named instance?

This 64bit box can connect to other servers, with the following connection string:

Provider=SQLOLEDB.1;Persist Security Info=True;Data Source=192.168.100.1;Initial Catalog=Tupperware Distributor System;User ID=sa;Password=pass;

It just cannot connect to this server, with the named instance of "dina"

Provider=SQLOLEDB.1;Persist Security Info=True;Data Source=192.168.101.1\dina;Initial Catalog=Tupperware Distributor System;User ID=sa;Password=pass;

But the XP boxes and Win7 32bit connect to it without problems, and I don't know why this particular server has to be connected to a named instance (I did not set up the servers)

Thanks for your time so far...

Edited by peter_budo: Keep It Organized - For easy readability, always wrap programming code within posts in [code] (code blocks)

In such situation I don't know specific reason for that...
Try instead of Data Source=192.168.101.1\dina Data Source={server name}\dina
make sure sql server instance {dina} allows remote connections with named pipes\TCP

Develop an application connects to this server on 64 and catch the exception and detailed exception then send them here..

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.