Hello
Could help me get the right MySQL on my computer. I had it installed but it was a couple
years ago. My cp crashed. I can't remeber how or what to install. All I have left
is the script I used. I was running the command window one. that is fine if I new which
one to install.
thanks.

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/windows-installation.html

I re-installed the:mysql-essential-5.1.52-win32.msi
Thanks
Is there a indication here how to find which insert went bad? there are about 1000
to choose from.

ERROR 1064 (42000): You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that
corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'INSER
T INTO content (publisher_code,book_isbn,book_title,artist,song,page_num) V' at
line 2

If you restore your database from a dump file the error message should tell the correct line number of this file.
Most common problems when inserting from a dump are non-escaped quotes in field content. Search for a regular expression like "'[^',]+'[^,]" (not tested) which might find unescaped quotes in your input.

If you restore your database from a dump file the error message should tell the correct line number of this file.
Most common problems when inserting from a dump are non-escaped quotes in field content. Search for a regular expression like "'[^',]+'[^,]" (not tested) which might find unescaped quotes in your input.

I don't know MySQL that well. I just ran my script.

Search for a regular expression

I don't understand where to search:
and "'[^',]+'[^,]" is ^ to escape ' <-really dumb question.
I am not sure how to search .

Well, then show us your script. The error will be in there.
And no, the circumflex ^ means "not" in regular expressions. So my expression intends to search for a (single) quote, followed by anything which is neither a quote nor a comma, followed by a quote, followed by something not a comma.

ok cool. now is that just something used in the command line?
never done a search.

Go learn about regular expressions and the program grep. There are a lot of editors which can search for regular expressions, too. I recommend EditPad++
But this was not the error, though.
Look at

INSERT INTO content (publisher_code,book_isbn,book_title,artist,song,page_num) VALUES ('HL','0-634-01176-6','The Greatest Rock Guitar Fake Book','The Who','My Generation',277)

The semicolon is missing at the end.

Go learn about regular expressions and the program grep. There are a lot of editors which can search for regular expressions, too. I recommend EditPad++
But this was not the error, though.
Look at

INSERT INTO content (publisher_code,book_isbn,book_title,artist,song,page_num) VALUES ('HL','0-634-01176-6','The Greatest Rock Guitar Fake Book','The Who','My Generation',277)

The semicolon is missing at the end.

Great thanks I'll look that up.

Before I leave the install post:
I started learning db's using Microsoft exess. Is the MySQL the same?
I was able to build the tables and relationships,forms and all that using a GUI with exess.
Is there a particular dl that has tools as such?

MySQL is similar with Access in being a relational database. If you use InnoDB as storage engine you can have foreign key constraints to guard the relational integrity. It has stored procedures, triggers and views - I don't know if Access has those.
A nice GUI for MySQL is Navicat. A browser-based alternative is phpMyAdmin (somewhat clumsy to use, though).
I recommend learning the command line interface, though. It is by far the fastest way to get things done.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.