I have an idea for a friends list based off a user's account info.

'guid' is the character id number
'account' is the player's account number
'friend' is the player he is friends with
'online' 1 = online; 0= offline

Here's what the layout is like:

Friends List

`character_social` (`guid`, `friend`, `flags`, `note`) VALUES (6, 2, 1, 'Character 1');
`character_social` (`guid`, `friend`, `flags`, `note`) VALUES (2, 6, 1, 'Character 2');

So Character 1 is friends with Character 2 and vice versa.

Character Profiles

`characters` (`guid`, `account`, `name`, `online`) VALUES (6, 7, 'Character 1', 0);
`characters` (`guid`, `account`, `name`, `online`) VALUES (2, 6, 'Character 2', 0);

What i'm trying to do is display the currently logged in user's friends on a page.

So when Character 1 logs in it reads his friends list to find their 'guid' number and then looks to see if the friend is online by checking that friends 'online' field for a 1, if found it displays that characters 'name'.

I have no idea how to do this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Votes + Comments
Contributors
Replies
Views
6 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by Waffles007

Hi mrniceguy,

This is what I have so far;

<?php
mysql_connect("localhost","root","password") OR die(mysql_error());
mysql_select_db("characters") OR die(mysql_error());
$query= mysql_query("SELECT name FROM characters WHERE online ='1' ORDER BY name") OR die(mysql_error());
$query= mysql_query("SELECT guid FROM characters WHERE online ='1' ") OR die(mysql_error());
$query= mysql_query("SELECT friend FROM characters_social WHERE characters.online ='1' ") OR die(mysql_error());

while($row=mysql_fetch_array($query)){
$name = $row['name'];
echo "$name is  Online<br/>";
}

I know it's practically nothing, I have no idea how to connect the currently logged in user to which friends he/she has and fetch them. Crossing different databases and comparing data is something I have yet to figure out.

If you can point me in the right direction I should be able to figure out how this is supposed to work.

Thanks for the reply,
Waffles

/*first do DB connection*/

/*second  get the id of logged in user from session or any method u prefer.*/
$guid=$_SESSION['guid'];
$query= mysql_query("SELECT friend FROM characters_social WHERE guid='$guid' ") OR die(mysql_error());
while($row=mysql_fetch_array($query)){
   $friendid=$row['friend'];//here is the id of ur friend.
  /*query the db for his name if he/she is online*/
  $sql=mysq_query("SELECT name,online FROM characters WHERE   guid='$friendid' AND online='1'");
 $count=mysql_num_rows($sql);/*if  greater than 0,means 1...which shows he/she is online*/
 if($count>0){
 $row=mysql_fetch_array($sql);
 $name=$row['name'];

echo"$name<br/>";
}

}/*close while loop*/

I HOPE THAT HELPS..I DIDN`T TEST THE CODE.

Edited by mrcniceguy: n/a

Votes + Comments
+=+ good answer
$sql=mysq_query("SELECT name,online FROM characters WHERE   guid='$friendid' AND online='1'");

I did not know you could use SELECT on more than one field, that is good to know.

Thank you mrcniceguy, I will test the code later today once I have access to the database. Will post results.

So I found out the log in script does not connect to the proper database for this script to work properly as the information I need from _SESSION is not there. I do not wish to alter the log in script at this time, to facilitate this addition.

Thanks for your help mrcniceguy. It's been greatly appreciated.

Waffles

This question has already been answered. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.