Can anyone help ? Im looking to find a MySQL query using regular expressions to allow me to remove any paragraph html tags within block quote tags. An example is :

<blockquote>
<p>TEXT</p>
</blockquote>

Should be :

<blockquote>
TEXT
</blockquote>

Thanks,

Contributors
Replies
Views
6 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by smantscheff

Tough to write an RE To deal with all legal blockquotes. For instance

<blockquote>
  this is badly placed but legal html (and probably rendered "correctly"<p>
  <blockquote>
     this is a bogus close tag, bad html, but ignored by most browsers</p>
     <blockquote>
     <p>This should be cleaned</p>
     <p>
so should this</p><p>and
this
</p></blockquote><p    >
This should probably be cleaned too, even though the tags are malformed: Firefox, Safari and Chrome render them as though they were correct.
</p     >
</blockquote>
<p>Should this one be cleaned, even though it is bad xml? It would still render with most browsers.
</blockquote>

You also fail to tell us why this is a problem for SQL. I presume you have complete documents stored as text in your table? I think If you don't have a huge amount of data, you are better served using some external language to parse each hit that results from approximately SELECT text_block from my_table where text_block LIKE '%<blockquote%<p%'; Maybe even if you do have a huge amount of data, since I doubt you can find a good enough RE (unless you already know that the blockquotes are very stylized, without exception).

Edited by griswolf: n/a

Also keep in mind that MySQL doesn't have a regex replace function. You might find the pattern, but you cannot replace it. You would have to use a user defined function - which might be the easiest way to tackle it, anyway, if you really have to solve it within MySQL and not, as griswolf suggested, with an external regex program.

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.