I am thinking to use MySQL with my new Java project, it contains some code that creates database locally and store data in it.

It is all fine on my machine as I have all requisites installed like MySQL server but what will happen when I give this developed software to users, they will probably have not installed MySQL.

I am new with MySQL so not sure how it works, I am sure this is a bit stupid question and there must be some way around.

Contributors
Replies
Views
6 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by warlord902

yeah but the situation is like this that server is installed just on my developer machine but how will my end software find a server, as i am not managing a server online to handle my software queries

Your clients need access to a mysql server, either on their local machines or a server in their own network or a server which is accessible through the internet. So either you setup a mysql server on each client machine, or you set up a server in their network, or you open your developer machine for mysql queries from the outside. for that purpose you can use dyndns.org or selfip.com if you don't have a fixed IP address.

Your clients need access to a mysql server, either on their local machines or a server in their own network or a server which is accessible through the internet. So either you setup a mysql server on each client machine, or you set up a server in their network, or you open your developer machine for mysql queries from the outside. for that purpose you can use dyndns.org or selfip.com if you don't have a fixed IP address.

great, this reply really answered my question. I have one more question, what if I do not want to set up a server for my clients queries, i just want to handle them locally on client machine, as it does not create or use any big database and I also want the database to reside only on the client machine. So what other database can I use if I do not want to set up server for my clients?

Google for "mysql java alternative". It all depends on your requirements. With mysql you have a full-fledged SQL DB. Which parts do you not need? Maybe you might even be happy with a simple hash table in text format?

I switched to JavaDb and presently it is looking good. Thanks

Edited by warlord902: n/a

This question has already been answered. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.