i have never worked with GIS data so i don't know much about it but currently i have just started my project and i am a bit confused while selecting the database for this purpose. i just want to know which database would be more fruitful while working in GIS projects?

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

What is a GIS project ?

What kind of data you are going to store in the DB ?

What is the front end application /language you are using / planning to use ?

SQL Server 2008 has all the necessary geospatial data types. For a little primer on how to use GIS, you should visit the ESRI site. They are the industry leader on that sort of thing.

SQL Server 2008 has all the necessary geospatial data types. For a little primer on how to use GIS, you should visit the ESRI site. They are the industry leader on that sort of thing.

Thanks i will definately try that and will post if i have some problem ....thanks for your help

If you need a graphic user interface (to display maps) there is also MapInfo;
If you only want to store geographical data and make calculation (distance between points, Point in polygon, adjacence of areas, and so on) Oracle Spatial is great.

If you need a graphic user interface (to display maps) there is also MapInfo;
If you only want to store geographical data and make calculation (distance between points, Point in polygon, adjacence of areas, and so on) Oracle Spatial is great.

yes i do need to show interface as a map can you provide me some useful links for MapInfo it would be very helpful.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.