Hi,
I am Shoaib.
I have an project for my database course. I have chosen Dmoz directory listing(easiest project). I have to design the database first.
Please can someone tell me where I will start?
I will appreciate any clue or hints.

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Write down your requirements first. What data do you need ? How is it organized ?

Write down your requirements first. What data do you need ? How is it organized ?

At the first stage I want to create 10 or more root directory like "Arts, Business, Computer" etc. And in every root directory there are more sub directory. In the sub directory there will be more sub directory.

In a nutshell it is like http://dmoz.org

I don't do people's homework for them, but you should read your database theory notes, work out which entities you will need, draw an erd and check everything is normalised.

But being a generous person, I'll give you a hint - this is a relatively simple database, and has very few entities indeed, but has one sneaky twist to it, if you wish to do it properly.

PS it is nothing to do with directories. You are thinking about where your PHP files might reside to run the queries and build the pages/reports. These are not the database, so I guess databases aren't your best topic, eh.

I don't do people's homework for them, but you should read your database theory notes, work out which entities you will need, draw an erd and check everything is normalised.

But being a generous person, I'll give you a hint - this is a relatively simple database, and has very few entities indeed, but has one sneaky twist to it, if you wish to do it properly.

PS it is nothing to do with directories. You are thinking about where your PHP files might reside to run the queries and build the pages/reports. These are not the database, so I guess databases aren't your best topic, eh.

I am not asking you to do whole task. I just need to know where to start and what is best way of thinking to design the database.

PHP interface is not required by my course teacher. I just need to design the database and write the code in the best way.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.