I'm looking to select almost duplicate rows in a table. I initially just sorted all the rows by name and picked out the duplicates manually (took a while), but I'm wondering if there's a "real" way to go about doing this. Problem is that the duplicate names can slightly differ. I've also tried taking the names and converting them into substrings, but if I cut the names into strings with 5 characters and compare them, it doesn't catch all the duplicates. If I cut the names into strings of 4 characters, it thinks some entries are duplicates when they're not. Any ideas?

Recommended Answers

q1 my magic crystal ball allows me to see what you have done, and point there, in your code.....
English translation:: Post your select statement, at least, between [code]

[/code] tags, and perhaps a description of the column names,

q2, well actually you were told wrong

Jump to Post

All 2 Replies

OK, I've been told a few extras is cool and we can look though it manually. But I have an additional question. My query outputs only the substring by which i did the grouping. How can I get the query to output the primary key and full string as well? The database is PostgreSQL and I understand in MySQL, you could just add the fields you wanted to in the SELECT clause, but PostgreSQL won't let you. Is there a way around that?

q1 my magic crystal ball allows me to see what you have done, and point there, in your code.....
English translation:: Post your select statement, at least, between [code]

[/code] tags, and perhaps a description of the column names,

q2, well actually you were told wrong http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/static/sql-select.html WHERE somecolumn SIMILAR TO avalue ORDER BY something different
and just for fun coz I like the search animation let me google that for you

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of 1.20 million developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts learning and sharing knowledge.