Hi all,

I'm trying to design an application for a recruitment application. I have two types of users - a coordinator who works for an agency who logs in and posts jobs and searches for canidates. And a candidate who logs in and searches for jobs.

I'm not sure if it is best to have one general user table with fields

*Users*
uid
password
email

and then a table for coordinators

*Coordinators*
first name
last name
dob
agency

and then a table for candidates

*candidates*
professional license number
first name
last name
dob
address
address line 2
town/city
county
post code
country
telephone
mobile

And a table for agencies:

id
name
address
phone
city

All candidates have a professional license number but coordinators do not. So if I put it into one table I would have lots of null values. But there will be massively more candidates than coordinators so it will be less than 1% fields with null values. Not sure whether it is a big issue to have null values?

Thanks in advance

Edited by ozy123: n/a

Contributors
Views
6 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by adam_k

For some reason I would create 1 table for all 4 of yours and include a type to determine if it's a coordinator or a candidate.

Now for the null values: If you treat null then you'll be just fine. And by treating null I mean using the ISNULL() function and IS NULL as criteria when dealing with the fields that are possible to contain null values.

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.