what is BCNF?

Recommended Answers

Why not use Google instead of expecting others to do it for you?

Jump to Post

what is BCNF?

boyce code normal form..
combtination of 4th and 3rd normal form..

Jump to Post

All 5 Replies

Why not use Google instead of expecting others to do it for you?

what is BCNF?

boyce code normal form..
combtination of 4th and 3rd normal form..

I have a hard time wrapping my head around the concept. the idea is you don't have perpetually repeating vales in a table, correct. So would BCNF be where you would have an address file where you skip city and state and have zip there, and then have a link to the zip table which would have city and state there?

Here in Portland we have like 20 zip codes in Portland, so in a data table or Oregon addresses you would have hundreds of addresses where the city and state are identical, but zips change a lot. So is BCNF supposed to supress that kind of thing

Also, how far do you really go on normalizing a table? Pretty much 3rd normal form is more trouble making queries than the spaces savings are worth, unless you have a database the size of the IRS or FBI or something

I am a beginner in this and my understanding is that BCNF is when every determinant in a relation is a candidate key and this came out of the result of realizing that in 3NF dependencies can still exist thus creating redundancy in the 3NF relations. So in a way BCNF is like an advance 3NF. 4NF is used once in awhile while 5NF is rarely used.

Zip codes usually identifies a District so I guess if as you say unless there is a need like the IRS or FBI etc to generate queries in which the District of each entry is required for analysis purposes etc then maybe there is no need. I guess you would need to consider the scope of the database construct.

I hope I was a tad helpful.

Answer directly found by search engine.so u can use google optimization and i m sure u should got your answers.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of 1.20 million developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts learning and sharing knowledge.