I set up a MySQL databse following this tutorial:
http://www.saltycrane.com/blog/2008/07/how-set-django-mysql-ubuntu-hardy/

Here is what I did:

$ mysql -u root -p
Enter password: 
Welcome to the MySQL monitor.  Commands end with ; or \g.
Your MySQL connection id is 1
Server version: 5.0.51a-3ubuntu5.1 (Ubuntu)

Type 'help;' or '\h' for help. Type '\c' to clear the buffer.

mysql> CREATE DATABASE django_db;
Query OK, 1 row affected (0.01 sec)

mysql> GRANT ALL ON django_db.* TO 'djangouser'@'localhost' IDENTIFIED BY 'mypassword';
Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.03 sec)

mysql> quit
Bye

Inside my Django project's settings.py file I did this:

DATABASES = {
    'default': {
        'ENGINE': 'mysql', # Add 'postgresql_psycopg2', 'postgresql', 'mysql', 'sqlite3' or 'oracle'.
        'NAME': 'djangodb',                      # Or path to database file if using sqlite3.
        'USER': 'djangouser',                      # Not used with sqlite3.
        'PASSWORD': 'mypassword',                  # Not used with sqlite3.
        'HOST': '',                      # Set to empty string for localhost. Not used with sqlite3.
        'PORT': '',                      # Set to empty string for default. Not used with sqlite3.
    }
}

But when i go to the terminal and type:

python manage.py runserver

I get this:

Validating models...

/usr/local/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/django/db/__init__.py:60: DeprecationWarning: Short names for ENGINE in database configurations are deprecated. Prepend default.ENGINE with 'django.db.backends.'
  DeprecationWarning
Unhandled exception in thread started by <bound method Command.inner_run of <django.contrib.staticfiles.management.commands.runserver.Command object at 0xe4b9d0>>
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/django/core/management/commands/runserver.py", line 88, in inner_run
    self.validate(display_num_errors=True)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/django/core/management/base.py", line 249, in validate
    num_errors = get_validation_errors(s, app)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/django/core/management/validation.py", line 102, in get_validation_errors
    connection.validation.validate_field(e, opts, f)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/django/db/backends/mysql/validation.py", line 14, in validate_field
    db_version = self.connection.get_server_version()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/django/db/backends/mysql/base.py", line 338, in get_server_version
    self.cursor()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/django/db/backends/__init__.py", line 250, in cursor
    cursor = self.make_debug_cursor(self._cursor())
  File "/usr/local/lib/python2.6/dist-packages/django/db/backends/mysql/base.py", line 322, in _cursor
    self.connection = Database.connect(**kwargs)
  File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/MySQLdb/__init__.py", line 81, in Connect
    return Connection(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/lib/pymodules/python2.6/MySQLdb/connections.py", line 170, in __init__
    super(Connection, self).__init__(*args, **kwargs2)
_mysql_exceptions.OperationalError: (1044, "Access denied for user 'djangouser'@'localhost' to database 'djangodb'")

But when i go to the terminal and type:

python manage.py runserver

Correction I type in this:

python manage.py syncdb

and THEN I get the "Access Denied Error".

IDIOT! I was typing 'djangodb' instead of 'django_db'

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.