Hello,
i installed MS SQL Server 2008 0n a stand alone/member server runing windows server 2003 R2. I connencted it as a member server to a Domain Controller(child1.parent.local) in another site. This worked very fine both the replications were succecssful.

The domain controller which i connected to, is a child domain(child1.parent.local) in a parent domain(parent.local). however, this child domain(child1.parent.local) is the major host of the Business enterprise software my organization runs, giving publications to the parent domain(parent.local) and my member server.

Here comes my worries, i want to promote my member server (the one one which i recently installed SQL Server 2008) to a Domain controller(probably- Child2.parent.local) in the Parent Domain(parent.local). Is it gonna affect my SQL server connectivity to the child domain(child1.parent.local) i am subcribing presently to? this is because my users currently authenticates from the child domain(child1.parent.domain) and what happens if the process fails? if Active Directory is not installed successfully?.

The infrasftructure i intend to have is
1. Parent.local
2. Child1.parent.local &
3. Child2.parent.local(my current member server)
will this work perfectly fine.
pls help...
thank you.

Emmanayo.

i want to promote my member server (the one one which i recently installed SQL Server 2008) to a Domain controller(probably- Child2.parent.local) in the Parent Domain(parent.local)

Why would you want to promote your SQL server to a Domain Controller (DC)? Running SQL on a DC is generally not a good practice. Do you have experience with Active Directory services? Have you consulted with the Domain Administrators in parent.local?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.