I'm trying to sum all numeric fields individually. I won't always know the field names, otherwise I could manually construct the query SELECT SUM(Field1) as Field1, SUM(Field2) as Field2...etc FROM myTable Is there a way to construct this on the fly in mysql? I'm thinking there's probably a way to incorporate SELECT COLUMN_NAME FROM information_schema WHERE TABLE_NAME=myTableName AND DATA_TYPE IN('tinyint','decimal'), but I'm not sure how. Thanks!

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

You need to build your query (string concatenation) using the information in the information_schema and then execute it.

I know how to do that with a separate query and php. Is there a way to do it all in one mysql query?

No, not in a single one. You could do it in a stored procedure.

Thanks for the help! This is what I ended up doing:

$results= mysql_fetch_array(mysql_query("SELECT CONCAT('SELECT SUM(',GROUP_CONCAT(INFORMATION_SCHEMA.COLUMNS.COLUMN_NAME SEPARATOR '), SUM('), ') FROM ',INFORMATION_SCHEMA.COLUMNS.TABLE_NAME) FROM INFORMATION_SCHEMA.COLUMNS WHERE INFORMATION_SCHEMA.COLUMNS.TABLE_NAME = '$logbook' AND INFORMATION_SCHEMA.COLUMNS.DATA_TYPE IN('tinyint','decimal')"));

That results in an array with the desired query as the value. Then I can run another query with the array value.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.