Hi I am currently searching for entities in this case study and I am hoping to create an entity relationship diagram after I have found all the entities.
So far I have managed to come up with the following entities

Members
Group members
Organised club racing
Training sessions
Boat
Design class
ManageRace
Ms Access system

However I am not 100% sure wether this is enough, can you spot any more entities?

Here is the case study
PPSC is a small sailing club located in the Pennines near Sheffield. They want to organise their event programme, duty roster, race results, and membership administration using a database linked to their website.

The club has several types of membership. Individuals can be Full, Associate, Cadet, Veteran, or Social (non-sailing) members, but there are also various different group memberships, which include both of Sheffield’s universities, a group of Sea Cadets, and some local schools. Group memberships have lists of named participants, and named principal contacts, but terms, conditions and fees vary.

The club operates mainly from March to October, and has a programme of events which includes dinghy racing, training sessions of various kinds, and other events at the club (eg. ‘Kid’s Week’, BBQ’s, Annual Prize-giving, AGM etc). Also there are usually some external events of interest to members which are noted in the calendar such as Filey Regatta, Bassenthwaite Week or the Dinghy Show at Alexandra Palace.

Organised club racing is held on Sundays (usually 3 or 4 races), and Thursday evenings from May ‘til August (one race at 7.30). Most Sundays, the 3 races constitute a one-day event, and the best two results for each boat count in deciding the winner. Sometimes though, an event may consist of the first (11.30) race on a succession of Sundays (usually six), and is known as ‘a series’. On these Sundays the second and third races also comprise (two) separate series. Thursday races are always part of a series. Each event usually has a name and an associated trophy (eg. the “Easter Primrose Bowl”).

Occasionally the club hosts ‘Open’ meetings. These are one-off events, usually held for a particular class of boat, and open to club members and visitors from other clubs. These may be held on Saturdays, or Sundays, or both (two-day events). Opens can be held instead of normal club racing, or run in parallel – but with a separate start.

There is also free-sailing (just messing about, not racing) on Saturday afternoons, and various training sessions are also run on Saturdays, and on Wednesday & Friday evenings. Training sessions cover many topics. Some are learn-to-sail sessions leading to RYA qualifications, some are for race-coaching, some are for powerboat and safety boat qualifications, and some for race management training. Each type of session will have a principal trainer, an intended target audience, and maximum capacity (number of trainees), but they may need different resources (eg. boats, safety boats and crew, other assistants, catering, etc).

Every boat in the club belongs to a particular design ‘class’ which determines its size, weight, sail area, number of crew, and Portsmouth Number (handicap rating), and each boat within a class has a unique sail number. The majority of classes are sailed single-handed (eg. Laser), but some are two-man boats (eg. Scorpion). Most members own their own boats, and some of the group memberships have their own boats too (eg. SU, SHU, and the Sea Cadets).

Each racing day requires a Race Officer and at least 3 other people to manage the racing and provide safety cover. The race officer and assistant run the racing from a moored ‘committee’ boat, while two others provide safety cover from a powerboat or RIB. The club keeps a list of members’ qualifications and/or experience needed for these roles, and members are expected to sign up in advance for race officer / safety duties on a ‘duty roster’.

For each race the officer records: the course, the wind speed and direction, and the start-time, . . . and for each boat: the class, sail number, number of laps completed, and either a finish time or a reason (code) for not finishing.

Race results are input to an existing (MS Access) system which calculates corrected (handicap) time and finish position before printing a result sheet for the notice-board.

The club would like to maintain the event programme, the duty roster and their membership records via the website. They also want to be able to upload race results for display and/or search by date, boat etc.

Member Avatar for LastMitch

Hi I am currently searching for entities in this case study and I am hoping to create an entity relationship diagram after I have found all the entities.

What book are reading anyway?

The reason why I ask because the way you ask this question you are not sure what you are looking for?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.