NathanL 0 Newbie Poster

I am attempting to apply an SSL certificate on a per client basis in SQL 2000 (Windows 2000).

I have read a number of MS Knowledgebase articles on the subject, and followed their directions, none of which seem to be working.

After installing the certificate, the directions say to export the root authority, and import it on the client machine, then force encryption either on my datasource, or through the SQL client network utility on the client machine.
I have tried both and both resulted in an error stating that the SQL server does not support encryption.

In my troubleshooting i found that Microsoft suggests that you apply for a certificate using the FQDN of the machine that SQL is running on. I did not know this when i applied for the certificate, so i used a new hostname on that machine (a new site in IIS created just for this purpose) and used that to apply for the certificate.

After i realized tha this is a problem, i found that you should be able to specify the thumbprint of the SSL cert you'd like to use in the windows registry, and then SQL server should read that certificate. So i did so it still doesnt work.

I'm looking for anyone else who as done this, and succeeded, I cant immagine that this is not possible.

Thank you,
Nathan