Hi all,
Before I begin this question, and before you tell me we dont do homework, I would like to state that I have read a few articles, I have tried a couple of functions (=REPLACE, =SUBSTITUTE) but i'm not able to get the reuslts require, I'm new to Excel
Question: Useappropriate text functions to shorten the variable names to something like Arizona Females Young, Arizona Females Old, and Arizona Females All, also is there a way to do it automatically for all variables in 1 function. The screenshot is attached.
It is kind of urgent (I understand people help within their own time).
Thanks in advance.

excel.png

Recommended Answers

this link will explain everything on how to use substitute and replace.
https://spreadsheeto.com/replace-and-substitute-text/

Jump to Post

i hope this explains.

Jump to Post

so thats when u can use the formula =RIGHT(A4, LEN(A4)-2) this will remove the fight 2 letters

Jump to Post

All 9 Replies

i hope this explains.

commented: I'm sorry, I am trying hard to understand but maybe I'm not getting it, I'll manually edit and show you what i want +0

so thats when u can use the formula =RIGHT(A4, LEN(A4)-2) this will remove the fight 2 letters

commented: Please see the screenshot below +0

Please see this
excel2.png

and if u use =LEFT(A4, LEN(A4)-9) this will remove the last 9 words hope that explains

commented: Maybe can you show me an example of the function with the screenshot above? +0

use replace the old text,starting number, number character, text u want to change .

commented: the reason i am not opting for that option is because i have so many states +0

u can use abbreviation of the states or u can type = replace then scroll down to make sure everything is marked then replace with what u want to replace with

I got the answer thanks for the help

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts learning and sharing knowledge.