Hello. I'm running an client installer for a program which populates a database running in a MSSQL instance over the internet using a system DSN ODBC connection.

The ODBC connection tests work but the installer fails at a certain point with the error "RPC server unavailable". I've posted this on the software forum aswell but I thought I'd post it on a generic MSSQL forum in case the problem's more generic.

It seems to be related to user permissions on the client computer as I have resolved this problem in the past by logging on as a different user with local administrator permissions.

Problem is that I'm trying to get this running on someone else's computer on a more tightly controlled network so I can't just say "Log in as a local administrator" - I need to be able to tell them what the problem is.

I assume it's probably just a check box I need to check or uncheck somewhere against the user profile but I haven't got a clue how to find out which one.

Any suggestions would be welcome. Cheers. Dan

10 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by iamthwee
This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.