I'm developing a small, web-based poetry sharing website. I'm a beginner in PHP and MySQL. I want users to have a personalized page where they can work on their work in progress, once they feel they can publish it for the other users to view. I've already created a login system that logs a user in and let him/her view the main page. But a flaw that I can already see is that if a user has book marked that page main page then he wouldn't have to login to get to it.
Does anyone have a way where:

1. Every user can have a personalized page
2. They must login first to get in users only area.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

hi,

But a flaw that I can already see is that if a user has book marked that page main page then he wouldn't have to login to get to it.

You have to use cookies to overcome this. Cookies helps in maintaining sessions. With cookies you keep some useful information and set its expire date/time.
So when when any action is performed on client side try to send the cookie details to server script which will parse that information to validate the user session.

I dont know PHP, so cant help on that. This is the way web application will maintain session.

cheers,
kath.

Sup pulse,
What I'd suggest is you use an open souce CMS then download an extension to use multisites (for your different users). This would be the quickest way to deploy a decent site without much work.
There many out there, a few good suggestions are joomla or wordpress. But thats entirely up to you

If you really would like to use your own user management system. There plenty of resources available (with cookies and all), start by googling. If you struggling, i can give you a few of my own.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.