Ok so first off i dont know much about programming. I am currently in the middle of my first programming class in school and i love it. It is based around visual basic 6, however the class moves incredibly slow so i decided i want to teach myself another language. Which language should i learn if i want to end up making games? and also where can i find a site to teach myself from? Thanks for the help

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

it depends, logo will be pretty good for you to make some simple shitty games, but you don't necessarily have to code to make games you could always use rpgmaker xp and make a game. if you want to make something good learn C++ and build an engine. but stay on track with your BASIC class right now because that will get you on the track to doing C++ successfully. Also if your someone who wants to make a game like runescaped thats a browser-based mmorpg learn java.

it depends, logo will be pretty good for you to make some simple shitty games, but you don't necessarily have to code to make games you could always use rpgmaker xp and make a game. if you want to make something good learn C++ and build an engine. but stay on track with your BASIC class right now because that will get you on the track to doing C++ successfully. Also if your someone who wants to make a game like runescaped thats a browser-based mmorpg learn java.

Yea eventually i want to be able to make a good game that is fun to play so ill probably start learning C++. DO you know where i could find a good tutorial

Yea eventually i want to be able to make a good game that is fun to play so ill probably start learning C++. DO you know where i could find a good tutorial

well i have a 1,000 page book on c++ that i'm using to teach myself.

http://www.cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/

thats a pretty good one haha let me know if you need anything else

For my experience (which I'll admit is relatively limited), books are often a better learning tool than online tutorials for complex programming languages like C++. If you've got the cash, I'd buy a book. I learned C++ from C++ for Dummies by Stephen Randy Davis. I really love Davis's writing. cplusplus.com and other sites like it are good for quick lookups of functions or syntax, but if you want to learn the language from the ground up, go with a book. :)

Actually i have one more question ... Whats the best compilier to use for C++, I have Windows Vista

I really like MS Visual C++ Express Edition's code editor. You can easily check #defines, function parameter options, and other things just my moving your mouse over something. You also get a list of member functions when you type the . or -> after an object of a class (you might not know what most or any of that means yet - I find it helpful when using DirectX, where you have lots of functions and classes that you haven't written yourself and don't know the inner workings of). I don't particularly mind the rest of the compiler, but I'm sure other people do, if for no reason other than it's Microsoft. Another nice compiler is Dev-C++, or wxDev-C++.

I really like MS Visual C++ Express Edition's code editor. You can easily check #defines, function parameter options, and other things just my moving your mouse over something. You also get a list of member functions when you type the . or -> after an object of a class (you might not know what most or any of that means yet - I find it helpful when using DirectX, where you have lots of functions and classes that you haven't written yourself and don't know the inner workings of). I don't particularly mind the rest of the compiler, but I'm sure other people do, if for no reason other than it's Microsoft. Another nice compiler is Dev-C++, or wxDev-C++.

Thanks i think i will get the MS Visual C++

i also am a fan of MS visual c++

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.