From the standpoint of writing the sorts of programs first and second semester C++ courses use (fairly simple command line programs), has anyone found any significant differences in the VS IDE or how C++ programs compile, compared to the 2005 version?

thanks,
VAl

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

From what I understand all versions use the same compiler and IDE -- the difference between versions is the add-ons that are packaged with it. I know that the Pro version is equipped with MFC and cross compilers for various embedded Mobile 5.0 operating systems. But its highly unlikely first year students will need either of those features.

>has anyone found any significant differences in the VS IDE or
>how C++ programs compile, compared to the 2005 version?
The IDE is about the same. It's been tightened up in a few places and flows a little better, but all in all it has roughly the same feel as 2005. You won't notice any huge differences unless you're quite the power user of Visual Studio. Concerning the compiler proper, the standard implementations of C and C++ are basically frozen from 2005 to 2008. The new version doesn't add anything significant.

Concerning the compiler proper, the standard implementations of C and C++ are basically frozen from 2005 to 2008. The new version doesn't add anything significant.

Thanks, that's what I most needed to know.
Val

Oops! I missed the part about 2008 vs 2005. Guess I need new reading glasses :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.