how after drawing a square with two points at opposite corner would i find the width of it?? thanks

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

If you have two points:
(10, -7)
(3, 12)
then how do you find the distances between them?

The distances are:
- distance between the x values (what you are looking for)
- distance between the y values (or "height")
- distance between the two points (the length of the line connecting the two points)

Surely you've done this in math class?

Hope this helps.

If you have upper left corner coordinates (x1, y1) and lower right corner coordinates (x2, y2), then your width would simply be x2 - x1.

...for squares oriented along the axes, but not ones like

(0,0), (3,4), (-1,7), (-4, 3)

Jeff

That's pithagoras i think.
You need the width or square and height. Also the starting points (corner square drawed from)

Then you do an equation:
width**2 + height**2 = distanceBetweenPonts**2

pythagoreans threorem?

sorry bad post

Why bad post? I told him how to get the distance between the two corners!? Its the hipothenuse man, thats the distance he wants. Don't blame me for not knowing the exact name of the formula, I study math in spanish.
I'm going to flag YOUR post a BAD POST.
You didn't help at all.

>I'm going to flag YOUR post a BAD POST.
Thanks for the report, but "Flag Bad Post" doesn't mean you think the post is poor in some way, it means that you think it breaks the rules defined here.

>You didn't help at all.
He helped you spell a name correctly, which will improve the chances of a successful web search by those who read your post. It seems you assumed that "sorry bad post" was referring to you and let that taint your response into a flame.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.